Ninja Blocks Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google

In this Discussion

Top Posters

Most Helpful Ninjas

My Block will be destroyed by German customs office
  • Last week a received a letter from DHL that my block is at the customs office.

Today I wanted to pick it up and they told me that it needs to be detroyed because the power adaptor is not in one piece (it has a removable plug connector at the end).

Now they will send it to the German Federal Network Agency but they told me that they will also refuse the delivery.

Great. No Block and no money. Awesome. Maybe you should stop deliveries to Germany.

Olaf
  • askpeteaskpete
    Key Master, Ninja, Sensei (Ninja Blocks Inc)
    Olaf,

Thats terrible. We will *at least* refund you. Can you send your order details to help@ninjablocks.com.

If you get a chance, tell them to throw out the adapter, and at least give you the rest - the Beagle Bone and enclosure at least.

We sent around 100 to the EU from the kickstarter batch and only had a few issues - and all were resolved with a form or two. That was via fedex so they contacted us directly.

If this happens to anyone else, please let us know.
  • Pete,

thanks for the immediate reply.

I offered them to keep the power adapter but they refused that. I will wait for the federal Network Agency. They will contact me within the next couple of days.
    If I will not be able to find a solution with them I will accept your kind offer for refund. To be honest I would prefer to have my Ninja block.

Regards

Olaf
  • askpeteaskpete
    Refund is the least we can do. Bureaucracy gone mad if you ask me. With the kickstarter batch we had problems with about 20 packages in the US (with the webcam of all things) but not many issue in Europe. The difference was because we used Fedex they contacted us instead of the customer (most of the time anyway) so we were able to sort it out.

If you don't have any luck with the Network Agency (feel free to give them our details), and you are still keen, we can try sending another one and gambling that it gets through ;)
  • After reading this, I just checked the status of my shipping to Berlin: "is pending customs inspection at the destination as of 26-Jan-2013."
    I got no notification from DHL or German customs. So, let's see what happens.
  • Also ordered the new batch from germany. At the moment my Ninjas are in Frankfurt Airport, if i will know more about inspection or other details i will let you know guys.
  • It's the same for me as for cinematographe shipping to Berlin awaiting customs response :/ hope they'll recognize their mistake and ship it to me .. unharmed... poor lil' ninja
  • askpeteaskpete
    We are starting to freak out a little guys! Please keep us posted on the progress, and feel free to point them in our direction for more information.
  • Hello,

Today I got my Ninja Block picked up at customs. There was no problem, only the indication on the box that it is a gift valued at $ 16 was a bit too optimistic. I had to pay 19% taxes.
  • askpeteaskpete
    Great new @Joe, thanks for sharing. We've shipped almost 150 kits to Germany and I was a bit scared we'd be down $30K.

They said they would optimise with the shipping invoices, but $16 AND a gift is getting a little silly ;)
  • DHL Tracking state (Shipping to Germany)

Fri, 25.01.2013 07:04 h
    --

The shipment will be handed over to the customs office responsible for the recipient. The recipient can collect the shipment from there once he has received notification from customs.

--

No notification yet... I hope my lil Ninja wont get destroyed too..
  • askpeteaskpete
    Try and get them to give you the kit without the CE Certified power adapter if you can. We can either buy one for your locally or give you a nice discount coupon to compensate.

Whatever happens be sure and let us know.
  • Hi,
    maybe you are happy to read this:

The item (RTxxxxxxxccHK) was tendered for delivery on 28-Jan-2013 without success

Area Frankfurt :) Looks like some will pass customs as a gift..
    I will guard my door today!
  • Same here:
    The shipment will be handed over to the customs office responsible for the recipient. The recipient can collect the shipment from there once he has received notification from customs.
  • Really annoying
  • As previously stated by others in the forum, delivery in Germany is handled by DHL.
    We found that some of our customers have had better luck contacting DHL directly.

DHL can be contacted at the following telephone numbers:
    Within: National - 01805 345 3001, International - 01805 345 3003
    Outside: 49-2173-3906000
  • How do I know that it got send ? Do i get an Email with Tracking No. ?
    Hope mine will get through...
  • Oh, got the email on 14th....
    Status: The item (xxx) was tendered for delivery on 28-Jan-2013 without success.
    Hope thats a good sign....
  • Ok, more research here:

Sat, 12.01.2013 17:50 h
    The shipment has arrived at the parcel center of origin

Fri, 18.01.2013 08:41 h
    The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: )

Sat, 26.01.2013 10:21 h
    IPZ-Ffm
    The shipment has arrived in the destination country

Sat, 26.01.2013 15:25 h
    IPZ-Ffm
    The international shipment has arrived at the import parcel center

Mon, 28.01.2013 16:29 h
    Saulheim
    The shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

Tue, 29.01.2013 00:58 h
    Rodgau
    The shipment has been processed in the destination parcel center

Tue, 29.01.2013 07:42 h
    --
  • I've got the same messages as mstoep...
  • Hi!
    I also ordered a block before christmas to Germany. It was held back by the German customs office. However after showing them the invoice and telling them what it was (they did not inspect the adapter) payed my VAT and could take it home.
  • SO i hope for the same treatment as er4z0r ;-)
  • okay tracking update:
  • I'm the lucky guy: The shipment has been successfully delivered *whistle*
  • Stuck at: The item is pending customs inspection at the destination as of 28-Jan-2013.

:(
  • askpeteaskpete
    Nice work @crazyt!

Sorry for all the hassles everyone else. We will put some more thought into the best approach for future shipments to Germany. All your feedback/experience (especially the problems) is greatly appreciated.
  • askpeteaskpete
    @bolli has some great advice for dealing with customs in this thread http://forums.ninjablocks.com/index.php?p=/discussion/161/where-is-my-block#Item_25
  • Today I got my Ninja Block. The custom officer briefly checked the CE Label on the power adapter. I got my device as a electronic construction kit for measurement and control (MSR).
    My parcel have no custom declaration outside of the package, not even gift/16$. I had to pay 28€ VAT.
  • Hi Guys,

Today I got my two Ninja Blocks! I picked them up at customs at Mannheim. There was no problem, obviously they didn't check the content of the packages. I only had to pay 19% taxes.
  • I got my Ninja Block yesterday at customs. The customs officer knew the Ninjablock from an article on golem.de but had no problems with it. We still had a little talk about home automation an I payed 19 % tax.
  • Same here, picked up my Block from Customs and he didnt even wanna see the contents of the package...
    Tip for customer: Bring your Paypal reciept and this Customs ID FS[02] 8542 31 Prozessoren und Steuer- und Kontrollschaltungen, auch in Verbindung mit Speichern, Wandlern, logischen Schaltungen, Verstärkern, Uhren und Taktgeberschaltungen oder anderen Schaltungen)
    They will be Happy and make no trouble :-)
    Tip for you Senseis: Dont put 16$ Gift on those package...German Customs dont like beeing tricked...
    With 149 Euro everything is fine and you just pay 19% Tax, no customs
  • Mstoep, yeah we didn't know our fulfilment partners would do $16 + gift. I can see what they were trying to do :)
  • Out of curiosity, will the price tagging be correct for the next bunch? Just wondering cause some other people i know might want to order, after they saw the awesomeness of my block xD
  • Please punish the idiots in HongKong. Because sending the parts without invoice labeled as a gift with 16$ value is just stupid. Our swiss customs send me a letter and also complain about that. I had to pay 60$ just because of that. Swiss customs will be payed if they have to search for data/information which is missing and that is simply crap. So instead of the normally 20$ customs it's now 3 times higher.

Please have a talk with the guys in asia. That's not serious business they are doing!

Other than that the ninja block is really cool and I'm playing with it right now :-)
  • I've picked mine up at the customs today, had to pay 19% taxes, other than that no issue. They complained about the declaration as a gift though.
  • have got today my ninja at custom in 77767 appenweier. No problems there. had to pay 28,42 euro tax. the problem was the declaration as a gift on the absece of the invoice outside of the package. first test . great.
  • Hi all,

I'm thinking about ordering a ninja block. So it is quite important for me to know if you will resolve the delivery problems to Germany for the next batch.
  • askpeteaskpete
    @tenorchris we sure will. We know what we need to smooth the process in Germany now. Accurate declaration & German classification code being the main ones!

In a week or two we will have all the receipt information and will be able to do a detailed post mortem.
  • Hi,
    got mine yesterday after an odysee through customs, paid 28,42€ (~$40) tax because it was declared a gift and had no invoice outside the package.
    Kinda pricy after all, would have been easy to avoid :(
  • @EmTee Actually, if you're german, the 28€ are import sales tax, you always have to pay that, if you get something from outside of the european union. So you would have had to pay it, even if everything had been declared correctly.
  • Same problem as the thread owner, was now at the Customs Office.

the officers had been informed immediately when he saw the name on the box.

German Federal Network Agency will check it and then destroy or hand over. This can take months.

No Ninja Blocks but less money.. :(
  • In the meantime I received a letter from the customs.
    They told me that the device was checked by the Federal Network Agency and that they have decided that it is a non complaint device.
    I need to abandon to veto this decision and then they will send the device back to you. (I hope that sentence makes sense)

Today I called the Network Agency and had very nice conversation.

They explained me that it is not the power adapter itself they are complaining about. It is the connector of the power plug that does not fulfill the requirements. It could seperate while attached to the electrical socket and someone could get an electric shock.

Would it be possible that you send me a package without the power adapter and let me know what kind of adapter I need so that I can buy one in an eletronic market?

Regards

Olaf
  • Gentlemen, for more shipping expense one can use a 3rd party re-mail service:

http://www.usa2me.com/

http://www.top20sites.com/Top-Remail-Sites
  • askpeteaskpete
    @matti and @olaf please mail help@ninjablocks.com if you have not already done so and we will sort you out. Refund at the least!
  • Hi Ninjas,

well I also had to pick up my block at the customs. They also told me that the 16$ gift thing was nothing they would accept. They told me, if there would have been a copy of the invoice an the outsinde everything would be fine.

Cheers
  • askpeteaskpete
    @Tindorias definitely won't happen next time! Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Unfortunately a few people weren't as lucky. If you haven't got your block, please contact us at help@ninjablocks.com and we will sort you out.
  • Hi,
    I just had a phone call with german customs office. They told me that they will refuse the shipping due to the power adaptor. I asked them to remove it and give me the remaining parts but they declined my request.
    Can you please help me how to proceed?

Regards

Oliver
  • Hi,
    last week I got a mail from the german customs office.
    My kit will be checked by the german federal network agency (Bundesnetzagentur).
    Today the next mail arrived.
    I only had the choice that the kit will be send back or it will be destroyed.

I told the customs office they shall send it back.

I did provide the tax-invoice and product categorysation
    8471 6070
    "Eingabeeinheiten oder Ausgabeeinheiten für automatische Datenverarbeitungsmaschinen, auch mit Speichereinheiten in einem gemeinsamen Gehäuse (ausg. Tastaturen)"
    or, in english
    "Input or output units for automatic data-processing machines, whether or not containing storage units in the same housing (excl. keyboards)",
    but it was useless.

Needless to say I´m quite frustrated.

Greetings
  • My Ninjablock is also being held hostage for lack of receipt. What did you guys take as receipt? Printout of paypal receipt?
  • Both Print All out you have.
  • askpeteaskpete
    @Poncho1975 and @funshot3222 please email help@ninjablocks.com and we'll sort you out.